A perfect time of year for this seasonal recipe using freshly foraged chestnuts! Make sure you collect the opened prickly shell ones, which litter our forest floors at this time and it makes a fun day out collecting them. Mind your fingers on the shell spikes and the smooth shelled chestnuts are toxic so you clearly want to avoid them. If you can’t get hold of fresh chestnuts, purée is usually available in the stores.
200g Coconut Sugar
250ml Almond Milk
50g Roast Carob Powder
50g Raw Carob Nibbles
3 Free Range Organic Eggs
1 Tbsp Savvy Gold Original Spread
Peeling them first before cooking.
- Peel the chestnuts and bake for 20 mins on a hot oven, taking care not to burn.
- Break up the chocolate and melt very gently with the butter and add the Savvy Spread
- Make a purée from the chestnuts with your food processor.
- On another pan, heat the milk and mash in the purée.
- In a mixing bowl, put the separated egg yolks and stir in the sugar.
- Pour everything into the bowl
- Whisk the egg-whites until firm then fold in as well.
- Pour into one or two shallow baking tins and cook for 25 mins on 175° fan oven (Gas mark 4).
- Turn out upside-down to cool.
Amazing with créme-fraîche or thick cream! Enjoy!